5 star must
following is what I highlighted during my read of this excellent book -- I
recommend it on my Top-ten List of Peace resources. My purpose in
providing them is to interest you, the reader, and hope that you will obtain and
read the complete work. To properly understand the highlights, you need to
read the book to put them in the proper context.]
- “What is my subject today?”
He would put his mind on it, and the lecture extemporaneously from an
inner reservoir of divine inspiration.
- Mankind is engaged in an eternal
quest for that “something else” he hopes will bring him happiness,
complete and unending. For those
individual souls who have sought and who have sought and found God, the
search is over: He is that Something Else.
- Paramahansa Yogananda
- Kriya Yoga, the scientific
technique of God-realization, will ultimately spread in all lands, and aid
in harmonizing the nations through man’s personal, transcendental
perception of the Infinite Father.
- Yoga…. is a universal science,
and that as such it is indeed the ‘essence’ of all true religions.
- “My India”:
“Where Ganges, woods, Himalayan caves and men dream God – I am
hallowed; my body touched that sod!”
- God is; and each man who will
seek Him sincerely will know Him.
- Man can have no life or power to
act, think, or feel without borrowing that power from God.
Therefore…knowing God is not only a privilege and a divine duty,
but also a practical necessity.
- Why should man grovel in
self-insufficiency when he can tap the Source of all power and fulfillment?
How Seekers First Found God
- How then can one make him really
happy? This is the problem the
wise men of India undertook to solve.
- …Nature operates in three ways:
creative, preservative, and dissolutive.
- …The saints gradually began to
convert their conceptions of God into perceptions of Him.
- That is what you must do also, if
you would know Him.
- First you must have a right
concept of God - a definite idea through which you can form a relationship
with Him – and then you must meditate+ and pray until that mental
conception becomes changed into actual perception.
- Then you will know Him.
If you persist, the Lord will come.
- Meditation is the concentrated
flow of one’s attention and consciousness toward communion and oneness
- You must work, but let God work
through you; this is the best part of devotion.
- …Greater than activity,
devotion, or reason, is meditation. To
meditate truly is to concentrate solely on Spirit.
- The sensory delusion in which you
live must be overcome.
- You should conceive of God as the
highest necessity of life.
- Break the shackles of limitation,
of dark habits and mechanical daily routine.
- He can be known by using the
technique of meditation.
- Then He shall throb as wisdom in
your mind, and as joy in your heart, and you will be more active and more
successful than you have ever been before.
- Look within yourself.
Remember, the Infinite is every-where.
- Diving deep into super
consciousness, * you can speed your mind through eternity; by the power of
mind you can go farther than the farthest star.
- When many devotees follow the
path of Him, there will arise a “United States of the World,” + with God
and His love as man’s Director and Guide.
- + As the individual states of
America maintain independence and yet are united in common ideals and goals,
so if God’s kingdom is to come on earth, the various countries of the
world must similarly unite in a bond of harmonious cooperation and
- …There are basically two
approaches to God-realization: the
outer way and the inner, or transcendental way.
- The outer way is by right
activity, loving and serving mankind with the consciousness centered in God;
the transcendental way is by deep esoteric meditation.
- By the transcendental way you
realize all the things you are not, and discover that which you are.
- You are that in which is rooted
everything in the universe.
- The world’s various religions
are based more or less on the beliefs of man.
- But the true basis of religion
should be a science that all devotees may apply in order to reach our one
- Yoga is that science.
- …. Only a master, * one who
knows God, may rightly teach others about Him.
- …. To gain the deepest
knowledge one should focus his gaze through the omniscient spiritual eye.
- . The center of concentration and
of the spherical spiritual eye, the seat of soul intuition.
That is the real “crystal ball.”
- One who is a master of him – of
the mind, emotions, senses, and passions.
His actions, unclouded by egoistic motives, are consonant with the
will of God; and he knows himself as one with God, not in imagination but in
actual experience of Divine Omnipresence.
- It is important to develop
intuition, or direct soul knowledge, for he who is God-conscious is sure of
- He knows, and he knows that he
- Spiritual centers in which people
may commune with God, and teachers who can show people how to do so, are
- . The two greatest
commandments… “Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all
thy soul, and with all thy mind,” and “Thou shalt love thy neighbour as
- Secret of Happiness Is
Consciousness of God’s Presence
- …The secret of happiness is not
to become attached to anything. Enjoy
the smell of the flower, but see God in it.
- …Free from sense of slavery
- The greatest factor in achieving
spiritual success is willingness.
- People of the world seek the
gifts of God, but he who is wise seeks the Giver Himself.
- God made this earth as it is on
purpose, in His plan it is man’s part to make the world better.
- To find God, one should meditate
every morning and night, and whenever there is a little spare time during
the day. In addition, it is
important to meditate for six hours on one day out of the week.
- To become a spiritual master, it
is necessary to give more time to God.
- When you become experienced in
meditation, able to go deep into super consciousness, five hours of sleep
are enough. The rest of the
night should be used for meditation.
- …Unceasing devotion is
essential to finding Him.
The Infinite Nature of God
- The Hindu scriptures state that
God is beyond comprehension by mind and intellect.
- Powerful as they are, their scope
is insufficient to contain Him.
- Though mind is incapable of
encompassing Omnipresence, it is nevertheless able to feel God.
- …Where the Infinite becomes the
finite there is a point of contact: the
super conscious mind. That mind
can feel God.
- If we use the mind properly, we
can understand how God is beyond mind and intellect, and how His true nature
can be felt only through the soul’s power intuition.
- …At-onement with Him.
Whatever understanding I have attained has been acquired by becoming
to God’s consciousness within. This
you too can accomplish.
- God gave freedom to man, and man
have misused that freedom; this is the cause of all suffering.
- …Ignorance that blinds to the
consequences of their actions, causing them to err and thus bring suffering
- The only way to avoid error is to
develop the discriminative wisdom to know what is wrong, and then resolve
not to do it.
- The true enemy of man is
ignorance. It must be driven
from this earth.
- Karma is the law of action and
reaction. Whatever man sows by
his behaviour he will reap in like measure, in this life or in succeeding
- Self-realization is not something
one can learn from books; it comes only through personal experience.
- Realization of Truth, experience
of God – not dogma merely - is what every religion should bring to its
- That can be attained only by
meditation and by following God’s laws.
- Knowledge prepares the way to
love. You cannot love that which
you do not know.
- Knowledge of God must therefore
precede love for Him.
- This knowledge comes with
practice of Kriya Yoga. *
- *Kriya Yoga means union (yoga)
with the Infinite through a certain action or rite (kriya).
- There is no use in becoming
attached to anything in this world. So many things come and go in the
Lord’s cosmic drama.
- The doctrine of reincarnation
provides the only plausible explanation for the seeming injustices in
inequalities among men – all of whom are God’s beloved children.
- The soul, all-perfect and
ever-perfect, is compelled by the law of evolution to incarnate repeatedly
in progressively higher lives – retarded by wrong actions and desires and
accelerated by spiritual endeavours- until Self-realization and God-union
are attained. Having then
transcended the Lord’s delusion, the soul do forever freed.
- A soul, who returns to earth
after attaining liberation, incarnates of his own free will as a master, to
help liberate others.
- We only know that the entire
universe depicts His intelligence.
- …A time comes when no human aid
can help. Then we look to the
other way, to the Spiritual Power, the Maker of our body, mind, and soul.
- Material power is limited, and
when it fails, we turn to the unlimited Divine Power.
- “Everything I have tried so far
has failed; what to do next?”
- . We start to think hard about a
solution. When we think deeply
enough, we find an answer within.
- This is one form of answered
- The secret of effective prayer is
to change your status from beggar to child of God; when you appeal to Him
from that consciousness, your prayer will have both power and wisdom.
- Most people are mentally or
physically lazy, or both.
- Company has the greatest
influence on will.
- …Find someone who knew God.
- I speak to you only about my
experiences; I do not care to lecture on what I know only intellectually.
- You yourself have to make the
effort to know God.
- The way to become receptive is to
sit quietly and concentrate your thoughts on a worthy wish until your mind
and thought become completely dissolved in that idea.
- Then will power becomes divine
– omniscient and omnipotent – and can be successfully applied toward
realizing your goal.
- First, the mind receives the
suggestion. Then the Divine
impregnates the mind with His Power. Finally
the brain releases the life energy to heal.
- You do not realize the power of
God that is in your mind. It
controls all the bodily functions.
- You can promote any condition in
the body if you exercise that power of your mind.
- It is necessary first to learn
the right method of meditation; then you can apply its divinely empowered
concentration to heal the body, or to help you in any other difficulty.
- Between the eyebrows is the door
of the heaven.
- This center* in the brain is the
seat of will. When you
concentrate deeply there and calmly will, whatever you are willing shall
come about. So never use your
will for evil purposes.
Understanding the Unreality of Matter
- …The basic source of bodily
existence is prana (life energy)
- …Pranayama, + life-energy
- Through pranayama the adept is
able to control the life energy in the sensory and motor nerves, and thus
free his mind from body-consciousness during meditation.
- He is able also to use this life
energy to heal or vitalize his body at will.
- …Denial of gross food to the
body compels it to depend on immaterial food:
the life current.
- Man’s will power is the great
generator of energy.
- A man who works hard but with
willingness is borne up physically and mentally by the cosmic current.
- One who learns and practices the
metaphysical methods of living by will power and by consciously tapping the
inexhaustible source of life energy is freed from many limitations of the
- …A permanent and unalterable
creative power must underlie all the transitory and illusive forms of the
- These concepts can be
intellectually understood but cannot be known until one has learned the
method of converting matter into life force, and life into Cosmic
Consciousness, * as Christ, Krishna, and other Self-realized masters were
able to do.
- To such enlightened ones, matter
per se does not exist, because they see that beneath the slight rippling
waves of creation is the changeless Ocean do Spirit.
- God is the only reality and that
creation is essentially an illusion.
- Man’s duty therefore is to
transcend the illusion by realization of God.
Man’s Greatest Adventure
The vital essence, or sexual fluid, contains a high concentration of
prana. If not dissipated, the
power therein can be used to enhance physical health, mental vitality and
creativity, and spiritual development.
- Man’s body is made of sixteen
basic material elements supported and activated by nineteen elements + of
- Man with his intelligence knows
how to protect himself against animals, but he doesn’t know how to protect
himself against his own bad habits and evil ways.
- The greatest of all enemies of
man is himself.
- To remain in ignorance of your
divine nature and to be overpowered by bad habits is to make an enemy of
your own self.
- The wise man who is armed against
all forms of warfare.
Against disease, against destiny and karma, against all evil thoughts and
Becomes the victor in this adventure.
- Even women, the proverbial
saviours of the world, are being trained as soldiers to kill others’
- I tried different methods, this
truth dawned on me: mind controls the effectiveness of them all.
- God has given us one tremendous
instrument of protection - the
- It is the mind that must be
- As for the body, I will do only
the will of God.
- An important part of the
adventure of life is to get hold of the mind, and to keep that controlled
mind constantly attuned to the Lord.
This is the secret of a happy, successful existence.
- God offers you an invincible
weapon by which you can eradicate all your sorrows and suffering:
wisdom, which comes through God-communion.
- The easiest way to overcome
disease, disappointments, and disasters is to be in constant attunement with
- You will finish this
life-adventure only when you conquer its dangers by your will power and mind
power, as did the Great Ones.
Self – Analysis: Key
to the Mastery Life
- Everyone should learn to analyze
- …Form a new habit of perusing
inspiring spiritual books. By
doing so you will change the course of your life.
- When you analyze what you are,
have a firm desire to banish your weaknesses and to make yourself what you
ought to be.
- Don’t allow yourself to be
overwhelmed with discouragement at the revelation of your shortcomings that
honest self-analysis usually brings.
- Overeating and improper eating
create in the body excessive toxins that have a definite negative effect on
the mind, making it both sluggish and irritable.
- Occasional fasting on grape or
orange juice has a cleansing effect on the system, which in turn vitalizes
- Such fasts, undertaken one day a
week, or occasionally for three days at a time, have been found effective in
helping to keep the body properly cleansed of impurities.
- …It is better still if you can
change your mental environment, so that you won’t be disturbed by
- Change yourself, and you can then
live anywhere in peace and happiness.
- …Unless you develop and
maintain a balanced nature – intellectually, materially, and spiritually
– you are not going to be happy.
- Plain living and high thinking
should be your goal.
- Your happiness should never be
subject to any outside influence.
- Don’t keep your mind engaged in
too many activities.
- Analyze what you get from them,
and see if they are really important. Don’t
waste your time.
- No matter where I go, I keep my
mind continuously on my soul peace.
- Remember, if each day does not
find you a better person than you were the day before, you are going
backward – in health, in mental peace, and in soul joy.
Why? Because you don’t
exercise enough control over your actions.
- The greatest influence in your
life, stronger even than your will power, is your environment. Change that,
if necessary. Until you are
mentally strong, you can never be what you want to be without a good
environment to help you.
- When you are having difficulty in
trying to change for the better, spiritual company and other uplifting
influences are essential.
- Happiness depends on meditation,
on knowing great minds through their thoughts in books, and on surrounding
yourself with people who are noble and kind.
- Enjoy solitude, but when you want
to mix with others, do so with all your love and friendship, so that those
persons cannot forget you but remember always that they met someone who
inspired them and turned their minds toward God.
Healing by God’s Unlimited Power
- …Chemicals and medicines affect
only the outer physical composition of the bodily cells and do not alter the
inner atomic structure of life principle of the cells.
- In many cases no cure of disease
is possible until the healing power of God has corrected, from within, the
imbalance of “lifetrons” or intelligent life energy in the body.
- The two basic causes of disease
are under activity and over activity of the life energy, prana.
- …An unlimited source of
protection for man lies in his strong thought that, as a child of God, he
cannot be affected by disease.
- Make it a point to drink plenty
of liquids to wash away toxins in the body.
But avoid drinking liquids with meals, as this can be injurious to
- Also, drinking liquids with meals
gives a tendency to obesity.
- The most important principle in
connection with eating is to avoid any form of overindulgence.
- The belief that wine, sex
experiences, and money will bring happiness is said by the sages to be the
chief delusion that man must overcome in order to realize his true nature.
- Fasting is a natural method of
healing. When animals or savages
are sick they fast. The bodily
machinery thus has an opportunity to cleanse itself and to obtain a
much-needed rest. Most diseases
can be cured by judicious fasting. *
- Better than medicines are the
rays of the sun. In them is a
wonderful healing power. One
should take a ten-minute sunbath every day.
- The key to all power lies in the
- He who finds joy within himself
discovers that his body is charged with electric current, life energy, not
from food but from God.
- A genuine smile distributes the
cosmic current, prana, to every body cell.
- The rules for guarding against
disease should be: self-control,
exercise, proper eating, drinking plenty of fruit juices, occasional
fasting, and smiling all time – from within.
- Those smiles come from
meditation. You will find then
the eternal power of God.
- To be responsive to the healing
power of God, the mind must be trained to believe in divine aid.
Eliminating the Static of Fear from the Mind Radio
- We are all human radios:
you receive the thought messages of others through your heart, * the
center of feeling, and broadcast your own thought messages through the
spiritual eye, the center of concentration and will.
- Your antenna is in the medulla,
the center of intuitive super consciousness.
- Fear comes from the heart.
- If your heart is truly quiet you
cannot feel fear at all.
Nervousness – Cause and Cure
- …The necessities for normal and
happy living, such as right food, proper exercise, fresh air, sunshine,
agreeable work and purpose in life.
- Objective analysis of one’s
problems, and maintaining calmness in all situations of life will heal the
most persistent case of nervousness.
- The calm man – he who avoids
excitement because he is not overly attached to his ego and is aware that
God, and not he, is running this universe – is always able to meet any
situation in life because his nerve force is equilibrated.
- …By calmness, by deep trust in
God, we reach the yogic state of an equilibrated being.
- Life energy can always renew.
- The diet should be simple,
balanced, and no too plentiful.
- Exercise should be regular.
- Too much sleep drugs the nerves,
and too little sleep is hurtful to them.
But all-important is the choice of company.
Tell me what kind the friends a man has and I will tell you what he
- We should seek the society of
superior men –those who tell us the truth and help us to improve
- He is our best friend who humbly
suggests how we may benefit our life by worthwhile changes.
- Strong criticism, delivered in a
mean or heartless way, is like hitting a man on the head with a hammer. The
power of love is infinitely more effective.
- One is fit to judge others only
after he has perfected his own nature. Till
then, judging oneself is the only profitable analysis.
- Every day, one should remind
himself: “I am a prince of
peace, sitting on the throne of poise, directing my kingdom of activity.”
- Whether one acts quickly or
slowly, in solitude or in the busy marts of men, his center should be
- Christ is an example of that
ideal. Every-where, he
demonstrated peace. He passed
through every conceivable test without losing his poise.
Physical and Spiritual Rewards of Fasting
- Without being fanatic, place the
greatest emphasis on the mind, with the object of making its power more and
- …Realize that the mind is a
- Communion with God is the purpose
- But in truth the only way to
health and happiness, and the sanest way, is self-control.
- When you refrain from overeating,
and when you fast, the life force takes rest and becomes recharged.
- It is through the center of super
consciousness in the medulla that God breathes His “word” – cosmic
intelligent vibration, or energy – into man.
- A reservoir of this energy
accumulates in the brain.
- Thence it flows down from the
medulla into the five spiritual centers (charkas) in the spine, which act as
distributors, feeding this life energy to all parts of the body.
- Through fasting, let your mind
depend on its own power. When
that power manifests, the life force in the body becomes increasingly
reinforced with the eternal energy continually flowing into the brain and
spine from the cosmic energy around the body, entering through the medulla.
- Becoming detached from dependence
on outer physical sources of bodily sustenance, the life force sees that it
is being supported form within, and wonders how this is so.
- The mind then says:
“The solids on which the body used to depend are nothing more than
gross condensations of energy. You
are pure energy. And you are
pure consciousness of the life force, it will manifest accordingly.
- Make your life and body
impervious to suffering. Conquer
yourself. By long fasting you
realize that everything is mind.
- . When, through fasting, you
learn how to depend on mind, it will work in everything, whether conquering
disease, or creating prosperity, or realizing the supreme goal of life –
- “The self-governed yogi whose
mind is under ceaseless control attains the peace of my being – the final
Self-realization Criterion of Religion
- “When your joy in meditation
and communion becomes greater than any other joy, you have found God.”
- Real seekers…gather under the
trees to meditate on God. The
dissatisfaction of real truth seekers…. will force a great world change in
the concept of religion.
- “Thou shalt love the Lord thy
God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength,
and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.”
- These two commandments sum up the
whole purpose of religion.
- You can consciously know your
soul – your true self- by meditation.
- Scriptures, sermons, and lectures
eventually cease to satisfy the seeker who truly longs to feel the presence
of god, but when he realizes truth, he knows life, as it should be.
- Do not settle for intellectual
satisfaction about truth into experience, and you will know God through your
- ‘He is a supreme yogi who
regards with equal-mindedness all men.’
The Desire That Satisfies All Desires
- …The prayer that should be
first in every heart is the prayer for God’s presence.
- . When the object of your prayer
is with you all the time, you no longer have needed to pray.
- This earth is not our home…we
are children of God…it is the will of the Divine that we return to Our
- There is no protection greater
than your conscience, and the divine quality of your good desires.
- In order to clean out your mental
attic of such unwanted furnishings, you must vigorously employ constructive,
positive, loving action.
- I learned a great lesson:
First comes my duty to God, and then I take care of all lesser
- *Whispers from Eternity, a book
of spiritualized prayers by Paramanhansa Yogananda.
A spiritualized prayer is one to which God has responded.
Any devotee praying deeply and sincerely to Him in those same words
will receive a similar blessing.
- The hardest obstacle to overcome
is yourself. When you sit to
meditate at night, your nervousness and restlessness are still with you.
- Learn to control your mind and
body. Be king of yourself.
Carry within you a portable heaven.
In God Is All Happiness
- Your paramount desire should-be
- The whole world has been plunged
into chaos through greedy desires. Greed is creating war.
Nothing else is causing it.
- I don’t want people to think
that they can attain realization simply by listening to others or by reading
books. They must practice what they read and hear.
- You can get God only by giving
your time to Him in deep meditation.
- My first aim is to please God.
I use my hands to pray in adoration before Him, my feet to seek Him
everywhere, and my mind to think of Him as always present.
- Every throne of thought must be
occupied by God – God as peace, God as love, God as kindness, God as
understanding, God as compassion, God as wisdom. This is the only thing that
I have come to tell you. Naught
- Learn the Self-Realization
technique of meditation. Keep
good company. Don’t look to
others, but to God alone. And
every day speak of this work to others.
Every day do well to some people.
- As long as there is money in my
pocket I never cease to give. My
bank is God.
- Last of all, you must know God;
just as the great ones know Him. If
you follow the technique, you will find Him through your own efforts.
- This is the only way to avoid
war. There must be spiritual
spirituality there cannot be happiness, either national or individual.
And happiness must start with the individual.
God-communion is the only answer to all problems, whether they are
physical, financial, matrimonial, moral o spiritual.
How to Be More Likable
- In order to see the justification
of man seems inequalities, we must understand the law of reincarnation.
- The answer is that this earth is
a vast schoolhouse, and the law of reincarnation is the justice that brings
each man here again and again until he has learned all of life’s lessons.
- Man himself has cultivated his
bright and dark qualities.
- …If a person is to become
likable, he must make himself more attractive from within.
- In our eyes is the entire history
of our life.
- When you are in the company of
others, be with them wholeheartedly; but when your interest in being with
them lags, make a polite excuse and withdraw.
- You have no right to remain while
your mind is absent.
- Above all, be humble.
- There is a magnet in your heart
that will attract true friends. That
magnet is unselfishness, thinking of others first.
- Consideration for others is a
most wonderful quality. It is
the greatest attractiveness you can have.
- It isn’t always your words that
others listen to, however, but the strength and sincerity behind them.
- When a sincere man speaks, the
- Each one of you has some special
quality, a uniqueness that others have not. Also, each one is richer or
poorer in some way than others are.
- Emulate the consciousness of the
great ones such as Christ.
- What, essentially, is
personality? It is the ego
consciousness; not ego in the sense of inflected pride, but as the
consciousness of existence.
- Each one of us knows: “I
- By concentrating within, you can
directly feel the divine bliss of your soul within and also without.
- Truth id ultimately understood or
“proved” solely by intuition, soul realization.
- A person of strong mind can be
whatever he wants to be.
- The limited human personality can
be greatly expanded by meditation.
- It is necessary first to feel
importance of changing our condition. This
attitude stimulates our will to action.
Let us resolve that we will always make an effort to improve our
Self-knowledge and thus continuously better our existence.
- Remember that it is not harmful
to own things, but it is harmful to be owned by them.
- …The spiritual aspirant must
learn to keep his attention centered in God, not allowing his thoughts to
wander from Him for a moment, lest the oil of divine communion be spilled,
while at the same time he performs accurately to the last detail his duties
in the world.
The Divine Art of Making Friends
- Two strangers meet, and by an
instantaneous choice of their hearts they wish to help each other.
- The spontaneous mutual desire to
be friends comes directly from God’s divine law of attraction; cumulative
mutual acts of friendship between two souls in past lives gradually create a
karmic bond they irresistibly attracts them to each other in this life.
- The only way to recognize real
friends is to meditate more. You
should try to find friends the divine way, and that is to purge your
consciousness of all thought of facial or other appearances as factors in
determining your feelings about others.
- The greatest art of making
friends is to behave divinely yourself – to be spiritual, to be pure, to
be unselfish – and to start friendship where the foundation of friendship
has already been laid in a past life.
- Do not allow your friendship to
remain locked up in one person, but gradually establish this divine
relationship with others of noble ideals.
- You can talk freely with a friend
without being misunderstood. But
friendship can never develop if there is any hint of demand of one on the
- God gave you a family so that you
may learn how to love others, and then give that kind of love to all.
- Let us give our love to all.
Let us pray that we meet our friends of the past and prove our
friendship with them, so that we can finally understand and merit the
friendship of God.
- Unless we are united with all of
His children through a spirit of friendliness, we will not be united with
The True Experience of Spiritual Ecstasy
- Many people take wine to banish
sad or unpleasant memories and worries, but that kind of forgetfulness robs
man of his native soul wisdom – the very power by which he was meant to
overcome his trials and to find lasting happiness.
- The essential proof of
Self-realization – of God’s consciousness in you – is to be truly and
- If there is a break in the flow
of divine happiness, then there is something wrong in your consciousness,
some kink that needs to be removed with the help of your guru.
- There is a lot of difference
between the potential realization of God and the actual realization of God.
- You can never know Him except
through humbleness, wisdom, and devotion.
The humble man is the one who will know God.
- The super conscious is that state
in which you can consciously, during wakefulness or sleep, produce any
sensation in your body at will, without any external stimulus.
- The advancing devotee progresses
through three stages of spiritual awareness, the Sacred Trinity:
First he experiences super consciousness, oneness with the creative
power in creation: Aum, “God
the Holy Ghost.” Next comes
Christ Consciousness, merging in the Infinite Intelligence within creation:
Tat, “God the Son.” Finally,
he attains the highest, Cosmic Consciousness, the Truth beyond creation, the
ineffable Absolute: Sat, “God
Three Paths to Cosmic Consciousness
- The world has a habit of much
teaching and little practicing
- * Concentration is a state of
complete one-pointed ness and stillness of consciousness.
The nature of creation is motion; the nature of Spirit is motion-less
- “Be still, and know that I am
God” Concentration is therefore essential to divine communion.
- He who is persistent will realize
- A real teacher possesses more
than book knowledge, and in spiritual life it is necessary to learn wisdom
from such a teacher; one who knows, and knows that he knows, because he has
experienced – not merely read about – truth.
- Of the three ways to expand human
consciousness into cosmic consciousness, the first is the social way,
wherein you shut out “self” and live for all.
Be loyal to your friends, and feel love for everyone.
- The second way to cosmic
consciousness is the way of self-discipline.
- Avoid becoming a slave to wrong
habits, and act only according to your righteous convictions.
- “He who is very-where
non-attached – has an established wisdom.”
- Lastly is the way of meditation
– the metaphysical path.
- As you increase the length and
depth of your meditations you will find more and more peace, and an ever-new
a Smile Millionaire
- The real smile is the smile of
bliss that comes when you meditate, when you feel the joy of God’s
- Peace is a negative state, being
merely the absence of the waves of pleasure, pain, and indifference; and so
after a little while the mediator is attracted once more by the desire to
experience the waves of motion.
- But as meditative peace deepens
into calmness and the ultimate positive state of bliss, the meditator
experiences a joy that is ever new and all satisfying.
- …You must look beyond peace in
order to behold.
- . The purity of your soul.
- Using the scalpel of reason or
intuition, they can dissect their own or others’ thoughts on the operating
table of the mind and remain unmoved.
- . Do not seek your happiness in
the senses. Find joy within and
express it in your face.
- …It is the Lord alone who
changes each heart.
- Nor should you question God.
You will reap only doubt.
- You will not be able to
understand His laws until you become one with Him.
- When you find Him, in that last
chapter, He will give you solutions to all the enigmas of human life.
Lord, Possess Us with Thy Love
- He has given you freedom to go
away from Him or to approach Him; He is waiting for you to express your
desire for His love before He comes to you.
You should understand the importance of cultivating divine friendship
with Him, and of not wasting any more time.
- It doesn’t matter how many
mistakes you have made; they are only temporary.
You are formed in the image of Spirit.
Controlling Your New Year’s Destiny
- …Destiny is what you make it.
- …You make up your mind, you too
- Jesus’ way of brotherly love is
the solution to the world’s problems.
- …Be more Christlike in your
- Resolve to give more time to God:
to meditate regularly every day, and on one night each week to meditate
several hours, so that you can feel your spiritual progress in God.
- Resolve that you are going to
practice Kriya Yoga regularly and that you are going to control your
appetites and emotions.
- Be a master! Make up your mind
How to Outwit Temptation
- Satan, or cosmic delusion, is
always snaring us through our ignorance.
That is how he obstructs God.
- The Lord could easily destroy
Satan, but prefers to overcome him by love.
- …To enable us to free
ourselves, God gave us reason, conscience, and will power.
- …. Realize what you really are:
an immortal soul.
Curing Mental Alcoholics
- Through continued good company
and proper environment for many years, a mental alcoholic may become free
from the octopus grip of the inborn evil.
- Self-control practiced daily,
even in insignificant matters, will help the mental alcoholic to come out of
his drunken indulgences little by little.
Overcoming Malignant Moods
no matter how wrong everything has gone for you, you have no right to
- “Lord, may. Thy power increase
in me. Keep me in the positive
consciousness that with Thy help I can always overcome my difficulties.”
Reincarnation Can Be Scientifically Proven
- * The life energy enters the body
at the medulla, is stored in the reservoir of the cerebrum, and then
descends into five other centers of life and consciousness in the spine,
whence it is distributed to the organs of sensory perceptions and to all
other parts of the body.
- At death, the life energy retires
irrevocably into the spine and leaves the body through the medulla.
- The accomplished yogi can
voluntarily and consciously withdraw the life energy from the body and
senses into the spine, directing it upward to the highest centers of divine
perceptions, where he is joyously aware of being “dead” – freed from
sensory delusions of being limited to a purely physical existence.
- Those who want to prove for
themselves the scientific truth of the doctrine of reincarnation should
first prove the principle of continuity of consciousness after death by
learning the art of consciously separating the soul from the body.
- * This can be done by following
the rules laid down many centuries ago by the Hindu savants:
Learn  to be conscious during sleep,  to be able to produce
dreams at will,  to disconnect the five senses consciously, not passively
as during sleep, and  to control the action of the heart, which is to
experience conscious death, or the suspended animation of the body (but not
of the consciousness) that occurs during the higher states of super
- By following the practices that
lead to the four states outlined above, we can follow the ego in all states
of existence – we can follow it consciously through death, through space,
to other bodies or other worlds.
Soul’s Journey to Perfection
- The last portion of life is more
important than the first, because what you are at the end of this life is
what you will be at the beginning of the next.
- The first part of life is usually
stupidly misspent, in a sort of bewildered state.
- If you commune with God you will
see that you are already free.
- To recapitulate the four basic
types of consciousness in man: Sudra
is the sense-bound state of existence; Vaisya is the business or creative
stage of man. Kshatriya is the
warrior state, when man desires to do battle with his senses and to conquer
his attachment to them. Brahmin
is the wisdom state, attained by man when he has overcome all attachment to
the senses and remains consciously immersed in Brahma, God.
- Recognition of your belonging to
one of the less advanced of these four types of mental attitude should not
discourage, but encourage you. If
upon self-analysis you find that you have not yet attained to the highest
state, do not think yourself helplessly unfortunate.
- The idea is that if you haven’t
changed yet, it is now time that you should.
Otherwise you will carry your present state into the next life too.
When death comes you want to feel that you have passed that
particular “grade” of life, and that you are free to go on to higher
grades. Therefore you should
change your life now.
- Above all, you should learn the
most you can from this life, and strive to pass to the highest grade of
spiritual development in the school do life.
- Commune with God.
When you can do that, the deficiencies of all lesser grades of living
- To free yourself from Karma that
binds you to the lesser duties of life, develop wisdom and
Will Jesus Reincarnate Again?
- According to the law of cause and
effect, every action creates a commensurate reaction.
Therefore whatever is happening to us now must be a result of
something we have done previously.
- “People are killing one another
and suffering in many other ways. Why
must this be?” And God says:
“I will send you back sometime to help them.”
- It will be a wonderful thing to
come to help all, and that is the way everyone should want to live on this
The Dream Nature of the World
- Proper visualization by the
exercise does concentration and will power enables us to materialize
thoughts, not only as dreams or visions in the mental realm, but also as
experiences in the material realm.
- This should be your new attitude:
no matter what your experiences are, enjoy them in an objective way,
as you would a movie. You have to find true peace and happiness within
- Your outer experiences should be
- You are a child immortal.
You have come on earth to entertain and to be entertained.
This is why life should be a combination of both meditation and
activity. If you lose your inner
balance that is just the time when you are vulnerable to worldly suffering.
- I preserve my mental balance no
matter what trials come. Learn
to laugh at difficulties by remembering that you are immortal.
- If you can accomplish even-
mindedness, nothing can ever hurt you.
- …The time will come when you
will find that, just by the power of your strong thought, whatever you think
will materialize. This is very
difficult to do, but it can be done.
- One’s first concentration
should be on union with God.
- Every day as you go through
various earthly situations, mentally practice your oneness with God.
- As you continue practice
visualization you will find that your thoughts become materialized.
The cosmic law will so arrange it that whatsoever you are thinking of
will be produced in actuality, if you command it to be so.
- Nothing worthwhile may be gained
without effort and without concentration.
- Don’t be sensitive about the
body and material concerns, nor let anyone hurt you.
- Keep your consciousness aloof.
- Give goodwill to all, but develop
a state of consciousness wherein nobody can ruffle you.
- The greatest thing you can do to
cultivate true wisdom is to practice the consciousness of the world as a
- One may learn the truth in two
ways: by undergoing many good and bad experiences, or by cultivating wisdom.
- Krishna said:
“The attainment of wisdom immediately bestows supreme peace.”
God’s Nature in the Mother and the Father
- …The father plays his greatest
creative role when he implants in his children thoughts that will lead to
- Character building should be
taught in schools and colleges, but fathers should realize that example is
more important than schooling. One
should not tell his children, “Do not do as I do, but do as I say.”
- …If all fathers filled their
hearts with the love of the Divine Father, who cares for His Children of all
nations, how could there be any war? Love
is the spiritual weapon with which to end all war.
Looking at Creation with Seeing Eyes
- …The mind cannot think an
original thought: there is not a
single idea that God has not originated already in conceiving His past,
present, and future creations.
- Therefore if you think deeply
enough about a subject, the answer to any question about it will come.
- You must feel as well as think;
if you do not have feeling along with your thoughts, you will not always be
successful in reaching the right conclusion.
- Feeling is an expression of
intuition, the repository of all knowledge.
- Feeling and thought, or reason,
must be balanced; only then does the divine image of God within you, the
soul, manifest its full nature.
- Abraham Lincoln expressed the
highest ideal of government when he said it should be “of the people, by
the people, and for the people.”
- Busy, busy, busy! That is
life’s demand. You have to
reserve time each day to get away from the world and be with God.
- Control your life, and set aside
time to practice meditation for communion with Him.
The Invisible Man
- You are invisible nucleus around
which many thoughts are revolving.
- The visible man is of little
importance, the invisible self, or soul, is of utmost importance.
- In meditation you peer into the
darkness behind closed eyes and center your attention on the darkness behind
closed eyes and center your attention on the soul, the invisible self within
- Learning to control your thoughts
and interiorize your mind, by scientific guru-given techniques of
meditation, you will gradually develop spiritually:
your meditations will deepen and your invisible self, the soul-image
of God within, will become real to you.
What Are Ghosts?
- Preoccupation with material
concerns is what you must overcome. How
can you do this? Make God the
first thought in your life.
- How can you do this?
Make God the first thought in your life.
So long as you keep Him in second place He will not come to you.
Gold, wine, and sex were created to hold you to this world; the Lord
uses them as tests to see whether you prefer them to His love.
Christ of East and West
- In Christ’s birth as an
Asiatic, and his acceptance by Western peoples as their guru, is a divine
implication that East and West should unite by exchanging their finest
distinctive features. It is part
of the drama of God that the West was meant to have material power, and the
East, spiritual power, so that amity might come through an interchange of
their characteristic qualities.
- The truth is that we human beings
become too one-sided; we need to seek a balance by drawing the best from one
- …Show the transcendence of
Spirit over matter.
- A balance between spirituality
and material development is necessary.
- The Ten Commandments of Moses,
many of the Biblical legends and figures and rituals, the miracles performed
by Christ, the very basics of Christian doctrine, all have concomitance with
the earlier Vedic literature of India.
- The teachings of Christ in the
New Testament and of Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita Gita have an exact
- I ask those who do not believe in
God: “Whence came the
intelligence in man and in the universe, if it is not produced in some
divine “Factory” hidden behind the ether?”
- Christ came at a critical time in
history, when the world was sorely in need of spiritual hope and
- His message was not intended to
foster multifarious sects, each claiming him as their own. His was a
universal message of unity.
- All mankind should open its heart
to Jesus’ great message: “God
hath made of one blood all nations of men.”
- . It is well to remember that
whoever hates any race will surely reincarnate in that bodily form; thus
does the karmic law force man to overcome his soul-stiffing prejudices.
- Train your heart to feel the
brotherhood of man – that is most important.
- True Christianity must be lived,
racial divisions must be banished. Prejudices
and lack of real brotherhood are causes of war and disunion among God’s
- We must work at eradicating all
incitements to war; in hate and prejudice lie bombs and misery.
Jesus warned: “…for all they that take the sword shall perish
with the sword.”*
- It is not the sword, but the
practice of Christ principles that shall ultimately free the world.
- In the highest sense, God alone
- You can best help this world by
ideal living, as taught by Christ and all spiritually enlightened ones.
- Every time you see the symbol of
the Cross it should remind you of what it stands for – that you must bear
your crosses with right attitude, even as Jesus did.
- When you mean well and still you
are misunderstood or mistreated, instead of being angry you should say, as
did Christ: “Father, forgive
them for they know what they do.” Why
forgive one who wrongs you?
- Because if you angrily strike
back you misrepresent your own divine soul nature – you are no better than
- But if you manifest spiritual
strength you are blessed, and the power of your righteous behaviour will
also help the other person to overcome his misunderstanding.
- “Whatever actions thou dost
perform…dedicate them all as offerings to me.
Thus no action of thine can enchain thee with good or evil karma.”
- The message of Christ is one of
compassion and forgiveness, renunciation (in spirit if one cannot do it in
actuality), morality, brotherly love and unity and equality, and supreme
love for God.
- I know that Christ is real, for I
have seen him many times.
- Jesus was not as fair
complexioned as most of you in the West.
He had dark skin. And his
eyes were not pale blue, as many artists paint them; they were dark.
Nor was his hair blond; it also was dark.
- Mahavatar Babaji ordained that I
come to America to interpret the teachings of Christ for the purpose of
showing their parallelism with the yoga teachings of India’s Lord Krishna.
- In the immortal truths expressed
by these two avatars lies the answer of the ages.
- I will try to bring East and West
together to fulfill the purpose for which Christ came on earth.bringing soul
and body together unites East and West.
- Help to spread the message. You
can realize these truths for yourself. Truth
is truth, and it is a universal experience.
- A salesman should never try to
sell something he does not believe in. One should teach only those things he
has practiced and experienced.
- Devotees of this path should
sincerely study the Self-Realization Lessons and meditate deeply each night
before going to bed.
- Worshiping Jesus is not truly
meaningful until one can expand his consciousness to receive within himself
the Christ Consciousness. That
is the second coming of Christ.
- Unless you do your part, a
thousand Christs come on earth would not be able to save you.
- You have to work for your own
salvation. Then Christ can help
- Division is imaginary lines drawn
by small minds. It is the result
of superiority complexes, and is the cause of wars and pernicious troubles.
- We must destroy division.
Look to the example of the great Christ who came in the East and
stands as a lofty ideal before both East and West, telling them,
“Here am I in the midst of you; learn from one another, balance
your spiritually and material develop.
- Look to the example of the great
Christ who came in the East and stands as a lofty ideal before East and
West, telling them, “Here am I
in the midst you, learn from one another, balance your spirituality and
- There he stands
- a Christ of East and West – linking the two hemispheres with this
message of unity. Can you not
Christ and Krishna
Avatars of the One Truth
- He is a master whose
consciousness has been refined to receive and reflect perfectly the light of
- Every human being is essentially
a soul, covered with a veil of maya.
- Through evolution and
self-effort, man makes a little hole in the veil; in time, he makes the hole
bigger and bigger. As the
opening enlarges, his consciousness expands, the soul becomes more manifest.
- When the veil is completely torn
away, the soul is fully manifest in him.
That man has become a master – master of himself and of maya.
- Even though liberated, the divine
ones play, at God’s behest, their human roles in the seeming reality of
the earth-life drama.
- They have their weaknesses, their
struggles and temptations, and then, through righteous battle and right
behaviour, they attain victory.
- In this way they show that all
men can be and are meant to be spiritually victorious over the forces that
would keep them from realizing their inherent oneness with God.
- A God-realized master is known by
his spiritual deeds.
- A master’s most important
spiritual accomplishment is the conquering of maya, delusion:
the attainment of that realization which makes God supreme in one’s
life – more important than life itself.
- The words of Lord Krishna in the
Bhagavad Gita and Lord Jesus in the New Testament of the Bible are sublime
manifestations of truth, great models of spiritual scripture.
- These two bibles give essentially
the same teaching. The deeper
Christianity that was preached by Jesus has been lost sight of today.
- When you can feel His omnipresent
consciousness in your fingertips, in your heart and head and wherever there
is any vibration of creation; when you can feel yourself in every speck of
space; when your sympathy and love have spread everywhere and you feel
oneness with everything you are in Christ Consciousness.
- …The purpose of religion is to
expand human consciousness and unite it with the omnipresent Christ
The social way is by cultivating divine love for everything that is.
- To love all impartially is to
know Christ Consciousness. The
transcendental way is by direct communion with the Christ Consciousness
through yoga meditation.
- He who knows God becomes one with
- …Concentrate on an image
representing a particular aspect of the Infinite Spirit.
- The visible image helps devotees
to increase their concentration and devotion in prayer to the unseen Spirit.
- Christ Intelligence holds the
Universe in balance.
- Every vibration emanates a sound.
The Holy Ghost is the Cosmic Intelligent Vibration, whose sound is
the Aum or Amen heard in deep yoga meditation.
- Krishna spoke of the Aum sound
and it was another Oriental Christ who spoke of this same vibration, calling
it Amen or Holy Ghost, as the means of communing with God.
- By attuning your consciousness
within in meditation, you can hear and commune with the Aum or Amen
vibration in which you meet the great Comforter.
- In communion with the Christ
Consciousness you realize you are one with God.
- First you must know how to
commune with the Trinity.
- “The sages call that man wise
whose pursuits are all without selfish plan or longings for results, and
whose activities are purified by the fire of wisdom.
Relinquishing attachment to the fruits of work, always contented,
independent (of material
rewards), the wise do not perform any (binding)
action even in the midst of activities.”
- Therein Krishna declares that it
is not necessary to forsake all things outwardly to find God, if everything
you do is without selfish motive, and done only to please Him.
- Krishna’s life demonstrates his
philosophy that it is not necessary to flee the responsibilities of material
life. The problem can be solved
by bringing God here where He has placed us.
- No matter what our environment
may be, into the mind where God-communion reigns, Heaven must come.
- To work without the peace of God
- That kind of determination is
needed. You must realize in your
heart and soul this truth: “Lord,
You alone are mine. I am here
just to please you.”
- “Don’t worry too much about
food and clothing and the demands of the body.”
It is more important to be clean inside than outside. If you can be
pure within and also clean without, that is even better.
- . True religion is deeper than
morality – it is contact with God.
- Reincarnation, so beautifully
expounded by Krishna in the Bhagavad-Gita Gita, is one of the most helpful
and inspiring spiritual doctrines; without it we cannot understand the
justice of God.
- The great ones come on earth to
show that the Christ Consciousness they have attained is what all who live
here must seek.
- The masters of India say that the
purpose of religion is not to create certain doctrines to be followed
blindly, but to show mankind the perennial method of finding everlasting
- …As every man is an agent of
God for doing some good on earth, so Christ, Krishna, Buddha – all the
great ones – came on earth to bestow on mankind the highest good:
knowledge of the path to Eternal Bliss, and the example of their
sublime lives to inspire us to follow it.
- Let us live as a great divine
family in a United World of Oneness, knowing within and without the harmony
and bliss of Spirit.
The Ten Commandments
Eternal Rules of Happiness
- The sudden cataclysms that occur
in nature, creating havoc and mass injury, are not “acts of God.”
Such disasters result from the thoughts and actions of man.
- The world will continue to have
warfare and natural calamities until all people correct their wrong thoughts
- Wars are brought about…. by
widespread material selfishness. Banish
selfishness – individual, industrial, political, national – and you will
have no more wars.
- Man’s thoughts have to be
- When family members selfishly
take away from one another, the house naturally will be filled with
disharmony. So also with the nations.
- The Ten Commandments might have
been more aptly named the Ten Rules of Happiness.
- Unless their spiritual meaning is
understood, people will always rebel against them.
- “Thou shalt have no other gods
before me.” God realization
should be the goal for living.
- “Thou shalt not make unto thee
any graven image.”
- …If you worship an image
without conscious regard for what it represents, then you have forgotten the
- …Not worshiping a graven image,
but the ideal the image represents to you.
- If you can do so, it is much
better to concentrate inwardly on God than to focus your attention first on
an external intermediary symbol, and then transfer that concentration to the
- God is infinite.
How could an image encase Him? This
is the reason behind the second commandment.
We should not worship an image as God, because He is infinite.
- “Thou shalt no take the name of
the Lord thy God in vain.” When
you say the name of God, you must be inwardly aware, of what you are saying.
- “Remember the Sabbath day, to
keep it holy.” To keep apart
one day for Him is in the best interests of your own welfare.
- Don’t observe the Sabbath as a
forced duty; enjoy it.
- India’s sages counsel not only
a regular day for seclusion, but stress the need for quiet meditation during
four specific periods every day.
- Without regular deposits of peace
in your life account, you will run out of strength, calmness, and happiness.
- You will finally become bankrupt
–emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually.
But daily communion with God will continually replenish your inner
- The calm man doesn’t make
- You must to be calm to be
- The Sabbath should be a day of
rest and cultivation of divine peace. However,
activity that expresses wisdom and peace is also appropriate on the Sabbath.
- “Honour thy father and thy
mother.” The human father and
mother should be honoured as the representatives of God, the supreme parent,
who has empowered them with His gift to create man.
The mother is God’s unconditional love incarnate…the father is a
manifestation of the Heavenly Father’s wisdom and protection of His
- “Thou shalt not kill.”
The meaning is that one should not kill for killing’s sake; for
then you become a murderer.
- One should not take another’s
life in a moment of violent emotion. But if your country is attacked and
goes to war, you should fight to protect those whom God has given to you.
You have a righteous obligation to defend your family and your
- “Thou shalt not commit
adultery.” The ideal of sexual
union should be the creation of children made in the image of God, and the
expression of the pure love of the soul that is felt between marriage
partners who behold only God in each other.
- …The creative urge is intended
by God to be transmuted into energy and divine realization.
- As you ultimately control and
spiritualize the creative energy, you will feel great peace and love and
bliss in God.
- “Thou shalt not steal.”
- …One should not unfairly take
from others their property or love or peace or any other possession.
- Spiritual unselfishness is the
way; then one automatically attracts abundance.
- Unless material selfishness is
abandoned, there can be no happiness in the world.
- Happiness will come only by
spiritual cooperation, when all men begin to feel for others’ necessities
as their own, and to work for others as earnestly as for self.
- “Thou shalt not bear false
witness against thy neighbour.”
- If you want to be treated well,
you should treat others well. It
is important to speak the truth at all times.
- To be always truthful one must
understand the difference between fact and truth.
- “Thou shalt not covet thy
neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his
manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that
is thy neighbour’s.
- The more you covet what others
have, the unhappier you will be.
How to Read Character
- …The main thoughts of all
one’s incarnations are reflected in the eyes.
- I don’t do this unless the
person has asked to be corrected, and has given me the authority and
permission to guide him.
- In dealing with emotional people
you can seldom bank on their stability.
- Those who really want to improve
should mix more with those who are calm and self-controlled.
- Try to mix with people who are
normal, and better still, with people who are supernormal.
- All creation is subject to the
influence of three inherent gunas or qualities:
sattva, rajas, and tamas – spiritual or elevating, activating, and
How to Be Happy at Will
- When you can constantly feel the
blissful after-state of meditation, you will live in ecstasy; you will be
one with the ever-new Joy of your soul, and whosoever will be around you
will be like you.
Steps Toward the Universal Christ Consciousness
- In this world we are limited by
- When we learn to be open-minded
and not opinionated about anything we grow in understanding and wisdom.
- Whenever you do something for
someone else, without any selfish motive, you have stepped into the sphere
of Christ Consciousness.
- If we are conscious of being
world citizens, we have and expanded consciousness.
- “That thought with which a
dying man leaves the body determines – through his long persistence in it
– his next state of being”
- If you would develop Christ
Consciousness, learn to be sympathetic.
- The transcendental way to develop
universal sympathy is meditation.
- The man whose mind dwells in the
superconscious state is always happy, always wise and loving, and always
retains the after-effects of meditation.
- If you can retain effortlessly
that consciousness you feel just after meditation, you have attained
- When someone unknown comes before
you, you will instantly know about that person’s life.
- But Christ Consciousness is still
farther beyond: you feel
everything in the universe in your consciousness at the same time.
Even-Mindedness in a World of Change
- Unless the mind says there is
pain, there is no pain.
- A mind made strong by the
practice of powerful and positive thinking is less affected by sensations of
pleasure and pain.
- It recognizes sensations in the
way God intended – as a form of academic experience.
- When I disconnect my mind from
the sense telephones, I am not bothered by anything.
- What you must do is discipline
your mind to be more positive. If
you make up your mind you are not going to catch a cold, you will be less
likely to catch one.
- …Even stronger than the patriot
is the spiritual man, he develops a greater mental courage through
disciplining his mind to endure, and ultimately rise above, every kind of
pain and trouble.
- The mind must acquire greater
control over the body. To be able to live by the power of mind is wonderful,
because the mind can do whatever you want it to.
- How to start depending more on
mind? Little by little habituate
yourself to heat and cold, to sleeping on a hard bed, to being less
dependent on accustomed comforts.
- Death must be good; otherwise God
would not have ordained that it happen to everyone.
Why live in fear of it?
- There are roughly two kinds of
people: those who continually
lament what is wrong with the world, and those who smile away life’s
difficulties and remain always positive in their thinking.
- If you become riled, get over it
- In the ultimate sense, everything
starts in the mind.
- Sense-enslaved minds are the
perpetrators of all wars, cruelties, and injustices.
- …Man has the mental power to
rise above all sensory experiences of change, to be unaffected by life’s
- When you manifest changeless
within, even though body and mind are constantly changing, you become one
with the Changeless Infinite.
- Freedom from sense slavery is the
only way to peace and happiness.
The Balanced Life
Curing Mental Abnormalities
- Such multitudinous psychological
deformities in pathological mental bodies, underdeveloped in some directions
and overdeveloped in others, lie concealed within man, causing suffering to
his soul hampering its expression on the material plane.
- …The balanced life –
observing all the laws of nature and of God, and combining activity with
calmness – alone can bring happiness and fulfill man’s natural destiny.
- …Psychological diseases, though
the root cause of all human woes, are not prevented or attended to promptly
and are allowed to wreck and devastate our lives.
- Educators, physical culturists,
preachers, reformers, doctors, and lawmakers will hasten the true progress
of civilization only when they themselves first learn, and then teach
others, how to develop harmoniously all the factors of life and of man’s
nature. This is the true
education and all-round human culture that the entire world is seeking.
- Educational authorities deem it
impossible to teach spiritual principles in public schools because they
confuse them with the varied conflicting religious dogmas.
- But if they would concentrate on
the universal principles of peace, love, service, tolerance, and faith that
govern the spiritual life, and devise practical methods of growing such
seeds in the fertile soil of the child’s mind, then the imaginary
difficultly would be dissolved. It
is a great mistake to ignore this problem just because it is seemingly
- They also are vicious who do not
prevent the spread of vice, and who do not teach others to be virtuous
through their example. Schools,
colleges, and society have not tried scientifically to prevent crime by
eliminating its true mental cause.
- Where is there such a school, one
that adopts definite measures for developing the whole nature of man,
teaching him the true art of life and fitting him to go through the various
minor tests and ultimately the final examination of life?
- Such schools are urgently needed
to teach the arts and sciences of all-round growth.
- In such a “how to live”
school, the science of physical, mental, and spiritual development should be
taught to children whose minds are still plastic and whose energies are as
yet unguided into any definite channel.
- Adults too may master the
subjects in night school, if they will exercise willingness and patience
while the good habits are displacing the undesirable ones.
- After a thorough training, the
students of such a school should undergo ceaseless introspective examination
through – out life; and the various diplomas won will be health, fame,
efficiency, wealth, and happiness.
Increasing the Power of Initiative
- What is that initiative?
- It is a creative faculty, a spark
of the Infinite Creator within each one of us.
- Initiative is the power to
create; to create means to do something that nobody else has done; it is
trying to do things in new ways, and trying to create new things.
- Ask yourself this question:
“Have I ever tried to do anything that nobody else has done?”
- That is the starting point in the
application of initiative.
- Man ought to adapt himself
conscientiously, according to his inner dictates, to all life’s
experiences. He should not act
- Those who look for personal glory
are never great; inflated with pride, they lack any real support from God.
- You must discover the power you
have; you must strive to overcome apparent impossibilities.
- You must be prepared to withstand
the critical opinion of the world in order to succeed in a great way in any
- You may stay away from
one-horsepower people in order to be original – to think differently, to
speak a little differently. And
be untiring in your zeal.
- The man of extraordinary
initiative swallows up all difficulties, believing in his heart that he is
- With unflinching steadiness march
on your path, realizing that behind you is the infinite Creative Power.
- Whenever you want to create
something wonderful, sit quietly and go deep in meditation until you have
contacted that infinite, inventive, creative Power that is within you.
- A teacher has to be a shock
absorber; the minute he becomes disturbed, he cannot help those who seek his
- A true teacher has to love
everybody; he has to understand humanity, and to know God.
- When I started to give lectures,
I made up my mind that I would speak not by book learning but by inner
inspiration, holding the thought that behind my speech was the inexhaustible
- “I want to do it, Father.
You must guide me; you must inspire me; you must lead me.”
- Life may be dark, difficulties
may come, opportunities may slip by unutilized, but never within yourself
say, “I am done for. God has
- Defeat is a temporary test for
you. Naturally God wants to make
you invincible, to have you bring into play the almighty power that is
within you, so that on the stage of life you can fulfill your high destined
Who Made God?
- * The name given by Paramanhansa
Yogananda to the first and most subtle manifestation of the creative
vibration emanating from Spirit; the primal ideas behind all matter.
Thoughtrons compose the ideational or causal universe, from which
emanates the physical universe of gross atomic energy.
- “I the Unmanifested, pervade
the whole universe. All
creatures abide in me, but I do not abide in them.”
The Art of Developing Memory
- Memory has two natures:
mortal memory reproduces the experiences of this life, and divine
memory reproduces the experiences of the soul throughout all its
- To increase one’s power of
memory, one should do everything with deep attention.
- What is meditation?
- Becoming one with the soul.
It means banishing the consciousness of being related to the body and
to human limitations, and trying to remember that one is a soul.
- When man begins by conscious
mental effort to relate himself to the immortal soul, rather than to the
body that he inhabits for one life only, he will recall more of his
past-life experiences, and will eventually remember that he has come down
from the bosom of God.
- …To remember bad experiences
and dwell upon them is an abuse of God’s gift to us of memory only to
recall good thoughts and experiences.
- From this moment I banish from my
mind all unpleasant memories. They
belong to the mortal being. I am
a child of the Spirit. I am
going to see, hear, taste, touch, feel, and will everything that is good.
I shall take only the good from my life’s experiences and shall
preserve only the good in my memory.”
Banish forever the abuse of memory.
Man’s Eternal Quest
- The secret of success and
happiness is inside you.
- …. The extent to which your
inner peace and mental control enable you to be happy under all
circumstances. That is real
- Plain living and high thinking
make for contentment.
- …You make your greatest
evolutionary, progress by the power of thought.
Set aside some time each day to improve your mind.
- Plan your life so that you do not
live in a haphazard way…
- Balance is necessary in every
avenue of life.
- The best way to read a book is to
introspect about it. See how it
applies to your own life. And
learn to discriminate. Do not
accept blindly everything that you read; it should meet the tests of your
- Meditation keeps you directly in
tune with the power that evokes all thought.
- Don’t waste your time.
God wants you to be a balanced individual.
If you allow your life to become unbalanced you will be punished by
the cosmic law.
- Live simply, have daily physical
exercise, study rewarding books, and cultivate the habit of daily
- If you meditate you will find
much more happiness than you have ever known.
- All knowledge will be given to
you from within.
- Whether or not one believes in
himself as a soul, he is bound by the cosmic law to develop, consciously or
unconsciously, his deeper nature.
- Man should not be a psychological
automaton, like the animal, which acts only through instinct…we are meant
to be conscious of what we do.
- We should reflect before we act.
We should learn how to use our minds so that we can evolve and
realize our oneness with the Creator.
- …. You must make your life
- …. Analyze your activities,
then choose what is important and cut out the nonessentials.
- Learn how to cultivate the
consciousness of Spirit. That is
why you were born a human being.
- You were created under the
evolutionary law that you might exercise your divine powers to find God.
- The only meaning of life is to
find the all-loving God, who has kept us apart from Himself by shyly hiding
- Mankind is engaged in an eternal
quest for that ‘something else’ he hopes will bring him happiness,
complete and unending.
- For those individual souls who
have sought and found God, the search is over: He is that Something Else.
- There are various techniques for
discovering the Spirit. Silence
is one of them.
- Another step or technique is
devotion, or speaking to God purely and simply.
- The Yoga system of contacting God
is the best. It consists of
various scientifically effective techniques of meditation.
- Everyone should practice divine
communion with God.
- Inwardly he talks to God all the
time, no matter what he is doing.
- Night is the time for meditation;
never go to bed until you have communion.
- Politicians can never save the
world; it only understands God that will save the world.
He is our true goal in this life.
Otherwise there would be no incentive for going on.
- No one can bring you salvation
unless you earn it - not through
belief, not through following dogma, but by your own knowledge and
experience. You should ask
yourself these question every day: If
there is God, why don’t I see Him? If
there are saints, where are they? The
answers will be given you; you can commune with God and His saints if you
practice the science Kriya Yoga.
- The purpose of this life is to
find your Self. Know your Self.
Feel the throb of the ocean of God’s presence in your heart.
- He never leaves any of His
children for a moment. He will reply to all your questions, and then there
will be no more fears.
- Find that Power, feel the ocean
of His love behind your consciousness, and you will achieve the greatest
success man can attain.
The Art of Living
- It is man’s duty to glean from
this variety the qualities that are highest and best; and to foster them
within himself, his nation, and the world.
Great men and saints do this. They
live several hundred years ahead of their time in exemplifying universal
principles of true art of living, and are applicable and vital to the
success and happiness of all men.
- A combination of spiritually
efficient qualities with materially efficient qualities, as…. can offer us
an art of living that will produce inn every nationally all-round men of the
highest type – physically, mentally, morally, materially, socially, and
- Following are a few practical
methods for uniformly developing body, mind and soul:
Include in your daily diet milk and other dairy
products, and a good percentage of raw food and fresh fruits; drink a large
glass of orange juice with finely groundnuts mixed in.
Eat less meat; avoid beef and pork entirely.
Fast one day a week on orange juice and use
suitable natural laxative as prescribed by your physician
Every morning and evening, with deep attention,
walk briskly, run or take some other form of exercise – as vigorous as your
constitution allows – until you perspire.
Read and meditate on some inspiring passage
from the Bible and from the Bhagavad-Gita Gita.
Read Shakespeare and other classics, and
suitable portions from practical books.
Visit different temples and churches.
…To develop your appreciation and
understanding of all faiths. Look
upon each one as The Temple of Our God.
Honour God not only in man-made temples, but
learn to worship and commune with Him in the inner temple of silence.
Practice meditation for one hour in the morning
and one hour at night, following the scientific methods taught by the great
masters of Sel-Realization Fellowship. Do
not be side-
Do not be enslaved by the senses.
They are not meant to bind you with material desires, but to serve you
with perceptions of good, which reflect God.
See plays or motion pictures only occasionally,
choosing those of the highest quality.
Obey God’s divine laws as applied to family,
country, and all nations.
Speak truth kindness and understanding, and
respect truth wherever you perceive it.
Expand your love for family and country to
include love and service to people of all nations.
See God in all men of whatever race or religion.
Spend less, and have more, by doing away with
luxurious habits. From your earnings
put aside as much as possible, so that you can live partially on the interest
from your savings, without having to dip into the capital.
See life as divided into four periods, during
each of which the main focus should be on developing efficiency in the
activities appropriate to that part of life.
From age 5 to 25 years.
The child should receive concentrated character training and become
instilled with spiritual ideals and habits.
As he grows into adulthood, he should get a general education, learn
efficiency by study and observation, and seek specialized training in some work
to which he feels suited.
From 25 to 40 years. As an adult, one should
fulfill family and other obligations to the world, while striving to keep a
From age 40 to 50 years.
During this period, adults should live more quietly, study inspirational
writings and keeping abreast of progress in the arts and sciences, and spending
more time in meditation.
From age 50 on.
One should spend the last part of life in meditation deeply most the of
time and through the wisdom and spirituality thus acquired, in rendering social
and spiritual service to others.
- In short, don’t think all the
time of just making money. Exercise,
read, meditate, love God, and act peacefully at all times.
Learn to be calmly active and actively calm, carrying into your daily
activities the calmness gained in the spiritual activity of meditation.
Creating and Destroying Habits at Will
- The ordinary human being does not
know what love is.
- What it means to love someone
else more than oneself is very difficult you understand, and even more
difficult for the average to practice.
- Your forefathers came here to
escape from rules that took away freedom to act according to one’s
conscience. Freeborn Americans
don’t like to have anyone dictate to them.
Why then should you let yourself be dictated to by your habits?
- Freedom comes only by following
the law of self-government. To
do freely what you ought to do, when you ought to do it – to be guided by
your wisdom – is the only real freedom.
- The child grows up thinking that
so long as his desires are satisfied he will be happy; and that the purpose
of life is to satisfy desires. Later
he realizes that he has been misled.
- Parents should try to equip their
children with firm will and discrimination, so that they can make their way
in the world and still remain apart from its bad habits. Teach children how
to be really free. Don’t let
them become slaves to the body and to undesirable habits.
It is good to train a child in regularity of daily habits, but he
should be trained also in even-mindedness.
- Never let life beat you down.
Beat life! If you have a
strong will you can overcome all difficulties.
- Don’t behave like a cringing
mortal being. You are a child of
Developing Dynamic Will
- What, then, are the principal
powers that govern body and mind? Wisdom and will.
- Wisdom is the soul’s intuitive,
direct knowledge of truth.
- Wisdom is your range finder, and
your will gives the firing power accomplish your ends according to the
dictates of your wisdom. Your
will should always be guided by wisdom.
- …We should have places where
people who have gone wrong can learn how to live and how to think. Jail is
not a suitable place of reform. Such
persons need to mix with superior men who can help them.
- To be guided by wisdom is to be
king of the world. The wise man tries first to determine if he is right;
then he acts. But if he makes a
decision and then finds out he was wrong, he immediately acknowledges his
- If will is guided by wisdom, it
will produce something constructive in our life.
- Man progresses from the
physiological will of infancy to the unthinking will of childhood.
- Thinking will is the most
marvellous instrument you can imagine. Are
you governed by thinking will, or by blind will, or by physiological will?
- Thinking will is the way toward
- Will that is not guided by habit
is thinking will.
- See how wonderful will power is.
After you have developed thinking will, you begin to reason,
“I must produce something worthwhile with this power,” and you
take up one thing at a time and try to accomplish it.
- You revolve that will around a
problem of health or of finances or of controlling a habit, or around the
desire to know God.
- If you will and act until
victory, then you have attained dynamic will.
- Be your true self, a child of
- Choose a good, wholesome,
constructive goal and then determine that you are going to achieve it.
Not matter how many time you fail, keep on trying.
- Use your will to know God first;
then He will direct you path in life.
- If you continuously use your will
power, no matter what reverses come, it will produce success and health and
power to help people, and above all, it will produce communion with God.
- This is the kind of will power
you must develop – the will power that will run the ocean dry if necessary
in order to accomplish what is good.
- The greatest will should be used
to meditate. The Lord wants us
to discover our divine will and use it to find Him.
Develop this God –seeking dynamic will.
It is not profound words that will give you emancipation, but your
own efforts through meditation.
Seek God Now
- One who is at peace in God is not
tortured by unfulfilled earthly desires.
- It is difficult to know Him.
The path to God is like a razor’s edge. But discouragement is never
justified, because we don’t have to acquire or win anything; we have only
to realize that God is already within us.
- That is why negativeness should
be completely put out of one’s mind.
- No one has entangled us in moods
and habits and desires but ourselves, and no one but ourselves will free us.
Why Waste Time?
Is the Joy You Seek
- …Life has a deep meaning:
to teach us to seek God earnestly.
- To attain the recognition of man
by your own God-realization is the greatest thing you can do.
- To love God and conduct your life
to please Him – that is what matters.
God as Light and Joy
- Egotism, pride, greed, anger, and
other ugly outgrowths of self-centeredness are barriers to spiritual
development, preventing man’s escape from the misery of soul ignorance.
- So long as you have any desire to
dominate other people, or to show them how powerful you are spiritually or
in any other way, you will not find soul freedom.
- God-awareness begins in
humbleness, love and meditative bliss; but with the realization of God comes
- That is the divine nature: peace,
love, humbleness, omnipresence, and omniscience.
- …The wisest of all actions is
to tune in with the will of the guru who is sent to you by the Lord as a
response to your soul’s desire.
- When there is a little spiritual
desire, the Lord sends books and teachers to further inspire you; and when
your desire is stronger, he sends a real guru.
- One who loves God can never take
pleasure in being a teacher. He
knows that God is the only Guru. I
feel as the dust at your feet. This
I say out of the realization of that mighty Spirit I behold in each one of
- Man has come on earth solely to
learn to know God; he is here for no other reason.
Have I Found God?
- First, ask yourself: “Have I
found God?” If your answer doesn’t satisfy you, get busy sincerely with
- India’s saints experimented
through the ages to perfect the universally scientific yoga methods of
emancipation, of attaining oneness with God. For you own satisfaction, apply
those methods in your spiritual seeking, for you cannot find the Supreme
without following the law of concentration and meditation, which alone leads
- …One of the most important
aspects of his universal message to mankind:
“It is not what you read that can give you liberation, but what you
do with what you read. Salvation
comes from practice, not theory; realization, not blind belief.
- To reach God you must find some
time every day to be alone with Him; you must get away from too many
distractions, too many fruitless engagements, too many desires, too much
waste of time; and you must follow a spiritually awakened teacher who has
found Him. Use your common sense
and intuition to recognize the true teachers who know Him.
Those alone who have experienced God can lead you to Him.
- Use the night hours as much as
you can, and the early morning, and all free moments between demanding
duties, to pray inwardly to God with all your soul: “Reveal
Thyself!” Solitude is the
price of God-realization. Wake!
Waste no more time in blind believing; follow the tested methods of
attaining Self-realization, and know God.
The Purpose of Life Is to Find God
- You too should realize that you
are visiting this earth only temporarily; you are solely to learn necessary
lessons and to help all who cross your path.
- You do not know why you have been
cast in a particular role, so you must learn what God expects of you.
- Seek God while you are young and
strong, because in old age and disease you may not be able to seek Him.
- The only purpose of life is to
find God. If you are married,
you and your loved one should seek the Divine together.
- But if you unmarried obey at once
Christ’s command: “Seek ye
first the kingdom of God.” When
you know Him, He will tell you what to do.
- The greatest thing is to possess
seven centers are divinely planned exits or “trap doors” through which the
Soul has descended into the body and through which it must reascend by a process
of meditation. By seven successive
steps, the soul escapes into Cosmic Consciousness.
In its conscious upward passage through the seven opened or
‘awakened’ cerebrospinal centers, the soul travels the highway to the
Infinite, the true path by which the soul must retrace its course to reunite
Eternal principles of righteousness that uphold
all creation; man’s inherent duty to
Live in harmony with these principles.
Man is surrounded by cosmic
energy, much as a fish is surrounded by water.
The Energization Exercises, originated by Paramahansa Yogananda and
taught in Self-Realization Fellowship Lessons, enable man to recharge his body
with this cosmic energy, or universal prana.
In the course of natural
righteousness, each man by his thoughts and actions becomes the molder of his
destiny. Whatever energies he
himself, wisely or unwisely, has set in motion must return to him as their
starting point, like a circle inexorably completing itself.
An understanding of karma as the law of justice serves to free the human
mind from resentment against God and man.
A Christlike teacher with
miraculous powers, he was also a family man with business responsibilities.
His mission was to make known yoga suitable for modern man, in which
meditation is balanced by right performance of worldly duties.
His mission has been to assist
prophets in carrying out their special dispensations.
. Proof that one is a master is
supplied only by the ability to enter at will be breathless state. …And by the
attainment of immutable bliss. Men
of God-realization …are devoid of the ego-principle…and its uprisings of
personal desires; the actions of true masters are in effortless conformity with
rita, natural righteousness.
The principal point of entry of
life force (prana) into the body; seat of the sixth cerebrospinal center, whose
function is to receive and direct the incoming flow of cosmic energy.
The life force is stored in the seventh center in the topmost part of the
brain. From that reservoir it is
distributed throughout the body. The
subtle center at the medulla is the main switch that controls the entrance,
storage, and distribution of the life force.
…We are just as much a part of
Him now as we ever will be. All we
have to do is improve our knowing.